Thursday, October 1, 2009

BestMed Campus 2 Campus

I have never raced the Campus 2 Campus, so I was quite excited about this race. Even though I had a function the night before and only got home at 12:30am!

The race starts at the Vaal Triangle Technicon campus, heads out west, goes over Ertjiesberg, and the returns. So, it is predominantly flat, with the short sharp Ertjiesberg at about halfway. I was hoping for the wind, which could have a significant impact on this course, but it was not to be.

Getting to bed late the night before meant that I spent what little time I did have, tossing and turning and worrying that I would not hear my alarm. I had Issy's race numbers with me, so I was concerned that I would oversleep and he would drive al the way to the race and not be able to race!
Anyway, all was well, and I did not oversleep, but didn't feel on top of the world when I headed out at 5:00am.
The Vets 40+ category had a strong field, with Dimension Data, Boss Logistics, V&A all present and accounted for. Notable absentees were Anton Duvenhage and Andrew Mclean, but the field was certainly strong enough that this would not be an easy race.
We were missing Andrew Mclean, Kevin Prinsloo and Mark Thijs, but welcomed back Colin Germs and had unexpected support from Jurie Krige as well.
Once again, we had to make sure we had representation in every break, because we did not have enough riders to bring back a break containing guys like Jorge Faria, Gary Beneke and Martin Saunders. All went according to plan, with Issy getting into a 5 man break, containing Jorge Faria as well as one of the Dimension Data riders.
For a long time the break had only about a 40sec gap, and Dimension Data made a number of attempts to attack and get a rider across. I needed to make sure Gary or Martin didn't get across and that would be the end of the race for me. Fortunately I was able to respond to all their moves, and almost got across myself when I counter attacked Gary. After this, the race settled down and the gap grew to about 1m30sec.
My plan was to try to get away on my own over Ertjiesberg, and bridge to the break. This would take Gary and Martin out of the race. I attacked on the climb, and only one of the DiData riders responded. He dropped before the top and I was away on my own, with about a 1min gap to the break. Gary kept his team together up the climb, conserving resources for the chase on the other side. The descent had a bit of a headwind, and after 10 minutes I realised that the bunch was catching me faster than I was catching the break. I sat up and allowed the bunch to catch me, hoping that the chase would end and give the break (with Issy) a better chance of staying away. I bought the ticket, but didn't win the lottery.
Gary kept the chase going, putting pressure on the break, and soon we caught the VA bunch. Unfortunately, the VA bunch also influenced the break and soon everything was back together and the race was now maybe 15 riders strong.
A few half-hearted attempts to get away were made. Martin Saunders was always willing to have a dip, and a chirp as well! But it all looked like it would end in a bunch sprint.
Coming into Vanderbijlpark, plenty of attacks and counter attacks. The finish was a downhill tailwind, so I decided to go early and see if I could make it to the line. Looking at my power meter data, I clearly went too early (376m) and the sprint was quick. Reaching just under 70km/h! 4 riders came over me at the line, with Gary taking the win.



No comments: