Monday, September 28, 2009

Tour de Maurice - Stage 2


Stage 2: Ruisseau Créole to Médine Time Trial (14.2km)


Stage 2 Route Map.JPG


Stage 2 took place in the afternoon of the first day of racing.  A 14.2km timetrial, which was fairly flat, but with the same finishing drag as stage 1.  The wind was blowing really hard and across, making equipment choices a hot topic of debate.


I had hoped to be closer to the top of the GC when the timetrial started, and with a good TT, was hoping to be in the top 10 of the race.  Our slip up in stage 1 had put paid to that ambition, but I still wanted to give it my best shot, having gone through the hassle of bringing a TT bike and disc wheels etc with me.


I had Ben Melt Swanepoel as my minute man.  With him not having a TT bike, I had a chance of catching him, and keeping the motivation levels high!  I felt really good at the start of the TT, and by the halfway mark was closing on Melt.  The second half of the TT was uphill and a strong cross-wind, which made it a bit tougher on the TT bike.  I had chosen not to use the disc wheel and was riding my HED Stinger 50’s.  I wasn’t able to catch Melt, but had a good showing anyway.  Taking 9th for the stage.  Mark Thijs (Toyota Cyclelab) had a great ride, taking 8th, but most amazing was Andrew.  He took second behind Sylvain Georges by 18sec.



No comments: