Wednesday, September 24, 2008

First MTB Race - Bekker Bundu Bash

I have been asked to coach the DCM Chome MountainBike team, so I decided I had better do some races to get a better feel for what this sport entails. I had been thinking about doing some mountainbiking for a while now, so this was the perfect reason to go out and do it.


The team arranged a bike for me, and I have a disc version of the powertap, so I was really looking forward to seeing the data that comes from this type of racing.


The race was 60km, which much of the race on dirt roads. Perfect introduction to offroad racing for a roadie like me.


The first 20km were predominantly single-track with some very rocky climbs and descents. Riding in the middle of some experienced offroad riders, I could not believe how fast we were going through this terrain, I was just hanging on and concentrating on the guy in front of me.


Most of the race was sand roads, so I was able to really push it.


Overall, it was great fun. MTB races have a very festive atmosphere and a great vibe. I'm looking forward to doing more of these events.


Power stats are very interesting. RPE is definitely a lot higher vs. power output. I found that my back and arms were feeling really tired towards the end of the race, and that was limiting me more than my legs.


No comments: