Saturday, April 12, 2008

Not A Week For Cycling

This week has not been about cycling. The real world intruded in a big way.

First off, the head cold that I had in the middle of last week and during the Maluti, hit me badly this week. On Tuesday I was feeling off colour, then on Wednesday I woke up with full blown bronchitis. At least I had the joy of watching my football team come from behind twice and book their place in the semi-finals of the Champions League (Liverpool 4 - 2 Arsenal). What a game, I nearly had heart-failure but the Reds came through. This goes a long way to avenge the defeat in 1989 when Arsenal took the league from Liverpool at Anfield with a 0-2 win, the second goal being pretty much the last kick of the game!!

So, 2 days in bed feeling like death warmed up!

Then on Friday morning we received the news we had been expecting, but still came as a big blow. Lella Cullingworth passed away on Friday morning after fighting breast cancer for more than a decade.

To say that Lella was a special person, would be to do her a disservice. Lella was truly a Saint! Every person she came into contact with, was touched by her. There was not a selfish bone in her body.

To focus on Lella though, is to tell only 50% of the story. Brendan, her husband, is just as special. Brendan and Lella changed the lives of so many people, myself and my family included.

Cancer may have taken her life, but it never took her spirit. Even in the face of impending death, she never became bitter. Her concern for those around her was always foremost in her mind. She passed away peacefully, but courageously and never let cancer change who she was.

So, Provincial Championships have been put on the backburner this year. But I'll be giving it a full go for Nationals. The memory of Lella does not make me think cycling is irrelevant, just the opposite. She taught us to embrace life and live it. Whatever you chose to do, do it with all your heart - give it all or nothing at all.

No comments: